Park of the Fallen/Muzeon Art Park, Moscow

Soviet emblem

Soviet emblem

More on the USSR

Park of the Fallen/Muzeon Art Park

Presented in the slide show below are images taken of some of those monuments and statues produced during the period of the construction of Socialism in the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR).

Construction worker

Construction worker

With the victory of reaction against the (admittedly weak and already corrupted revisionist) Socialist state in the 1990s many of these monuments and statues were removed from public spaces and many were left to rot. However, a re-assessment of the role of Socialist leaders of the past and with a mix of opportunism from the ruling capitalists that they could easily create another tourist attraction in the city led to the re-erection of these statues in the vicinity of the modern art gallery – which also displays art produced during the Socialist period.

The works presented here were produced over a period of about 50 years, representing the thinking of the revolutionary period as well as the period of revisionism and capitalist restoration. Those later works are included as they still represented a glimmer of the hope for a new future.

Included at images of VI Lenin, JV Stalin, Karl Marx, MI Kalinin and FE Dzerzhinsky, as well as Heroes of the Soviet Union.

Swords into ploughshares

Swords into ploughshares

Why some of these art works were considered controversial is difficult to understand. The Soviet leaders were the enemies of the new capitalist rulers so their removal can be understood. But why the references to peace or the statue of the female construction worker? Presumably it wasn’t what they are but the society that produced them and what they continue to represent.

Peace

Peace

The main concentration of the socialist art works are concentrated around the large metal emblem of the Soviet Union, in an area north west of the New Tretyakov Gallery. More contemporary sculptures are displayed in other parts of the park.

Related;

Socialist Realist Art in Albania

Museum of Socialist Art – Sofia, Bulgaria

Remnants of religious thinking in Albanian Socialist Art

The ‘Archive’ Exhibition at the Tirana Art Gallery

Socialist Realist Paintings and Sculptures in the National Art Gallery, Tirana

New Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow

Related – other statues of revolutionaries in Moscow

Ernst Thälmann – German Communist leader – statue in Moscow

Karl Marx monument, Moscow

Ho Chi Minh monument

Frederick Engels statue

Location;

In Muzeon Art Park, in which is also located the New Tretyakov Art Gallery (the gallery of 20th century Russian art).

How to get there;

The park is across the bridge over the River Moskva from the Park Kultury metro station and beside the main road that leads past the Oktyabrskaya metro station in the direction of the river. The main entrance to Muzeon Art Park is directly opposite the main entrance to Gorky Park.

GPS;

55°44′4.29″N

37°36′17.51″E

More on the USSR

Leningrad (Saint Petersburg) Metro – Ploschad Vosstaniya – Line 1

Ploshchad Vosstaniya - A Savin

Ploshchad Vosstaniya – A Savin

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – the world’s biggest Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Leningrad (Saint Petersburg) Metro – Ploschad Vosstaniya – Line 1

Ploschad Vosstaniya - 01

Ploschad Vosstaniya – 01

Ploshchad Vosstaniya (Russian: Плóщадь Восстáния, lit. ‘Uprising Square’) is a station on the Kirovsko-Vyborgskaya Line of Saint Petersburg Metro. It is one of the system’s original stations, opening on November 15, 1955. It is a deep underground pylon station at 58 metres (190ft) depth. The main surface vestibule is situated on Vosstaniya Square, which gives its name to the station. Another exit (opened in 1960) opens directly into the Moskovsky Rail Terminal. Ploshchad Vosstaniya is connected to the station Mayakovskaya of the Nevsko-Vasileostrovskaya Line via a transfer corridor and a set of escalators.

Text from Wikipedia.

Ploschad Vosstaniya - 03

Ploschad Vosstaniya – 03

This is one of the metro stations where you can still see an image of Uncle Joe amongst the people who are depicted on the four roundels celebrating the October Revolution of 1917, the events leading up to it and what happened once the workers, peasants and soldiers had taken power.

Ploschad Vosstaniya - 02

Ploschad Vosstaniya – 02

Location:

Tsentralny District

GPS:

59.9316°N

30.3605°E

Depth:

58m (190ft)

Opened:

November 15, 1955

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – the world’s biggest Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Semyonovskaya – Line 3

Semyonovskaya - Line 3 - A Savin

Semyonovskaya – Line 3 – A Savin

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Semyonovskaya – Line 3

Semyonovskaya (Семёновская) is a station of the Moscow Metro in the Sokolinaya Gora District, Eastern Administrative Okrug, Moscow. It is on the Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya line, between Elektrozavodskaya and Partizanskaya stations. Semyonovskaya opened in 1944.

Semyonovskaya - Line 3 - 01

Semyonovskaya – Line 3 – 01

Originally, the station was called Stalinskaya, as it was built under Stalinskaya Ploshchad. As part of de-Stalinization, the station was renamed in 1961 to Semyonovskaya for the settlement from which the Semyonovsky Regiment took its name.

Semyonovskaya - Line 3 - 05

Semyonovskaya – Line 3 – 05

It was the deepest station in Moscow Metro from 1944 until 1950.

Semyonovskaya - Line 3 - 03

Semyonovskaya – Line 3 – 03

Built concurrently with Partizanskaya, it too is war-themed, sporting plaques along the outer walls depicting a variety of Soviet weapons used in the war, including swords, sniper rifles, and machine guns. A much larger plaque at the end of the platform includes an image of the Order of Victory and the words ‘Our Red Army – Glory!’.

Semyonovskaya - Line 3 - 04

Semyonovskaya – Line 3 – 04

Semyonovskaya is an unusual design, with a double-width platform and four rows of pillars instead of the usual two. This was because the station was built as a pylon type, but was later changed in design and the pylons were transformed into pillars. The pillars are faced with red and white marble. The outer walls are grey marble. There is a row of square-pedestalled, green marble floor lamps along the center of the platform. The architects of the station were S. Kravets and V. Akhmetev.

Semyonovskaya - Line 3 - 02

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The station was closed for escalator replacement and general renovation on the 70th anniversary of the first Metro line, May 15, 2005. It reopened on April 28, 2006, with new escalator machinery and new interior and exterior finishes for the surface vestibule.

Text from Wikipedia.

Location:

Semyonovskaya square, Sokolinaya Gora District, Eastern Administrative Okrug

GPS:

55.7833°N

37.7208°E

Depth:

40 metres (130 ft)

Opened:

18 January 1944

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery