Moscow Metro – Kropotkinskaya – Line 1

Kropotkinskaya - Line 1

Kropotkinskaya – Line 1

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Kropotkinskaya – Line 1

This was one of the first stations to open and was called ‘Dvorets Sovietov’ or ‘Palace of the Soviets’.

At the time the area was called Kropotkinskaya Gate and street (now it is Prechistenka Gate Square and Prechistenka Street.) On March 15, 1941 the station was awarded the Stalin Prize, 2nd degree in architecture and construction. In the design, the station was known as ‘Kropotkinskaya Vorota’ or Kropotkinskaya Gate. But the station was called ‘Dvorets Sovietov’ or ‘Palace of the Soviets’ until 8 October 1957.

In 1991-92, it was proposed to rename the station ‘Prechistenka’ and this did occur.

Kropotkinskaya - 02

Kropotkinskaya – 02

In the mid 1990’s a proposal was made to change the name to ‘Christ the Savior Cathedral’ but this did not happen.

In 2008 a proposal was made to change the name to ‘Patriarshy’, but this has not happened.

Kropotkinskaya - 03

Kropotkinskaya – 03

Text above from Wikimapia.

Kropotkinskaya (Russian: Кропо́ткинская) is a station on the Sokolnicheskaya Line of the Moscow Metro. One of the oldest Metro stations, it was designed by Alexey Dushkin and Yakov Lichtenberg and opened in 1935 as part of the original Metro line, named after Russian anarchist Peter Kropotkin.

Kropotkinskaya - 04

Kropotkinskaya – 04

The station was originally planned to serve the enormous Palace of the Soviets (Dvorets Sovetov), which was to rise nearby on the former site of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. Kropotkinskaya was therefore designed to be the largest and grandest station on the first line. However, the Palace project was cancelled by Nikita Khrushchev in 1953, leaving the Metro station as the only part of the complex that was actually built.

Kropotkinskaya - 05

Kropotkinskaya – 05

Kropotkinskaya was constructed in a massive open trench measuring 176 metres (577 ft) long by 25 metres (82 ft) wide. The tunnels from Biblioteka Imeni Lenina were constructed using the cut and cover technique. The combination of unrestricted space and dry soil made for ideal conditions, and construction of the station took only 180 days from start to finish. Kropotkinskaya was completed in January 1935 and opened five months later, on 15 May 1935. The station was named Dvorets Sovetov until 1957, when it was renamed in honour of Peter Kropotkin, a geographer, philosopher, and anarchist theoretician born in the vicinity.

Kropotkinskaya - 06

Kropotkinskaya – 06

Since it was to serve as the gateway to the Palace of Soviets, great care was taken to make Kropotkinskaya suitably elegant and impressive. The station has flared columns faced with white marble which are said to have been inspired by the Temple of Amun at Karnak. Contrary to popular opinion, the marble used in the station did not come from the demolished Cathedral. The spacious platform is covered with squares of gray and red granite and the walls, originally tiled, are now faced with white Koyelga marble. The station is illuminated by concealed lamps set into the tops of the columns.

Kropotkinskaya - 07

Kropotkinskaya – 07

A model of the station won two Grand Prix awards at expositions in Paris (1937) and Brussels (1958). In March 1941 the designers and engineers were also awarded the Stalin prize of the USSR of the second order for architecture and construction.

Kropotkinskaya - 08

Kropotkinskaya – 08

Kropotkinskaya opened with only one entrance vestibule, located at the end of Gogolevskiy Boulevard. This U-shaped structure was designed by S.M. Kravets and features two separate pavilions joined by a central arch. In late 1950s the station was given a slight reconstruction replacing the original cast of the upper pillars was replaced by marble and the floor was relayed with granite. The reconstruction finished with a new entrance which faces the Cathedral and Moskva River which was opened on 16 July 1960.

Text above from Wikipedia.

Across the road from the original entrance can be found a statue of Frederick Engels.


Date of opening;

15th May 1935, known as Dvorets Sovetov (Palace of Soviets) until the 20th March 1957

Construction of the station;

shallow, column, three-span

Architects of the underground part;

A. Dushkin and Ya. Lichtenberg

Grand-prix of the World Industrial Exhibition of 1937 (Paris), Grand-prix of the World Exhibition of 1958 (Bruxelles), The state premium of USSR ‘For architecture and construction’ (1941)

The first name of the station was connected with an ambitious project of the former USSR leaders. It was projected to build a huge public, political, administrative, cultural and educational centre – Palace of Soviets, on the bank of the Moskva River, over Prechistinskaya Naberezhnaya, between Vsekhsvyatsky Pereulok and Soymonovsky Proyezd, at the place of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior destroyed in 1931. An international competition was announced. For example, Le Corbusier presented the project of a building in which ‘human masses’ had to enter the conference hall ‘turning around turbine blades. However it was not considered advanced enough. The winner (architect A. Dushkin) projected to build an enormous sky-scraper with a statue of Lenin on the roof. Searchlights were projected in his eyes and a reading hall for 150 persons in his skull.

The huge Palace of Soviets required an appropriate metro station. Kropotkinskaya was built in time. But only the foundation of the palace was built and the assembling of metal structures began (were dissembled for defence) before World War II. After the war, it was decided to cancel the construction of the palace. In 1957 the station was renamed to Kropotkinskaya.

Everyone who appears there has an inexpressible, anxious and religious feeling. If not being distracted and hurried, one can feel the state of underground weightlessness, flight among clouds. The architect failed to build a temple of earth power – Palace of Soviets, similar to the Tower of Babel but created a temple of underground heaven, similar to Karnaka.

The station has two lines of columns – broadening-up massive square and elegant decahedral in turn. The columns ‘open’ from the caps closing in and forming a hipped roof. Vaults disappear dissolving in height. The effect is reinforced by illumination. Lamps are hidden in the column caps while their rays are directed upward. They spread by facets of white domes, making the feeling of endless space above head. The impression is intensified by colour spectrum – snow-white plastered vaults, cloud-white slightly fancy marble of the walls and columns from the Koyelginskoye Deposit. The floor is covered with pastel grey and pink granite from Vyborg as on a chessboard.

Text from Moscow Metro 1935-2005, p66


Khamovniki District





13 metres (43 ft)


15 May 1935

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Krasnye Vorota – Transport Ministry Building – Moscow

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building - 04

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building – 04

More on the USSR

Krasnye Vorota – Transport Ministry Building – Moscow

Also known as the Red Gate Building and one of the ‘Seven Sisters’ skyscraper.

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building - 05

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building – 05

The 138-metre building consists of a central 24-storey building and two side buildings with a variable number of storeys ranging from 11 to 15. The exterior walls of the skyscraper are clad in natural limestone, while the ground floors are clad in red granite. The interiors of the building are more modest than in other post-war skyscrapers. For example, stainless steel was used in the front lobby and there are no expensive materials or picturesque panels.

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building - 02

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building – 02

The central building on the courtyard side had an assembly hall (on the ground floor) and an exhibition hall (in the basement). A tunnel was created along the perimeter of the basement with an entrance from the side of Komsomolskaya Square. It was intended for trucks serving the services of the building. The building was originally built for the needs of the Ministry of Railways. However, by 1951, when the works were completed, a new union agency, Mintransstroi, existed and it got the offices in the central block of the skyscraper.

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building - 06

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building – 06

All flats had refrigerators, built-in-furniture and sinks with a crusher to destroy large waste in the kitchens. The kitchens also had access to a rubbish chute. In addition to the traditional ventilation system, the house had central air conditioning. For this purpose, outdoor air was filtered and passed through a humidification system before reaching a temperature of +15°C. Then, depending on the season, the air was heated to the right temperature. All high-rise buildings were equipped with a centralised dust extraction system, which consisted of a system of brushes and hoses located in each flat, a system of pipes running along with the building and dust extraction stations installed in the basement. The collected dust was filtered and discharged into the sewage system, and the purified air from the system was discharged into the street. Boilers were installed in the basement to provide heating for the skyscraper.

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building - 01

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building – 01

The skyscraper was laid down in 1947 and completed in 1953. The construction of the tower was complicated by its location near the Moscow Metro tunnels and the Krasnye Vorota station. Dushkin built a second entrance to the station into the ground floor of the tower, which opened on 31 July 1954.

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building - 03

Krasnye Vorota Transport Ministry Building – 03

After being the headquarter of the Ministry of Construction of Heavy Industry the administrative part of the skyscraper also hosted the Ministry of Transport Construction. The building is also known as Lermontov Tower from Mikhail Lermontov, who was born on its place, and the Lermontovskaya Square, the name assigned to the Red Gate square between 1962 and 1986.

Text from Wikipedia.


Alexey Dushkin


Sadovaya-Spasskaya Ulitsa, 21/1

How to get there;

One of the entrances of the Krasnye Vorota Metro station is built into the ground floor of the building, on the east side. It’s on Line 1, the red one.







133 m (436 ft)

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – Paveletskaya – Line 2

Paveletskaya - Line 2 - Ludvig14

Paveletskaya – Line 2 – Ludvig14

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Paveletskaya – Line 2

Paveletskaya (Russian: Павелецкая) is a Moscow Metro station on the Zamoskvoretskaya line, located in the Zamoskvorechye District, Central Administrative Okrug. The station has entrances to the Paveletsky rail terminal and the Garden ring. It was opened in 1943 and was designed by S.V. Lyashchenko and E.S. Demchenko. Paveletskaya features tall white marble pillars decorated with the hammer and sickle and a high, arched ceiling. The walls are faced with white marble.

Paveletskaya - Line 2 - 04

Paveletskaya – Line 2 – 04

The long run between Teatralnaya (then Ploshchad Sverdlova, opened in 1938) and Avtozavodskaya was opened January 1, 1943. Work on Novokuznetskaya and Paveletskaya continued throughout 1943, and these two stations were opened 20 November 1943. Novokuznetskaya was commissioned as a completed station (most of its 1943 interiors surviving to date); Paveletskaya was built to a design by Alexey Dushkin as a temporary deep (33.5 meters underground) pylon station of London type – with two side platforms, but without a central hall.

Paveletskaya - Line 2 - 03

Paveletskaya – Line 2 – 03

Work on converting Paveletskaya to a fully functional station commenced in 1950; the station was reopened February 21, 1953. Fragments of original pylons were retained in the southern end of the station; the rest was expanded to a spacious column type hall of the same structure as Mayakovskaya. Bronze-coloured inserts with hammer and sickle motive, the sole example of figurative art in this station, were actually painted ceramic castings.

Paveletskaya - Line 2 - 02

Paveletskaya – Line 2 – 02

On 20 April 1987, at 19:55 local time, fire erupted in a northbound train approaching Paveletskaya. The train reached Paveletskaya, all passengers disembarked safely (the sole injury was a subway worker hospitalized with smoke poisoning). However, the train burnt out completely, damaging the interiors in the southern end on the station. It had to be partially rebuilt again.

Paveletskaya - Line 2 - 01

Paveletskaya – Line 2 – 01

On 6 February 2004, at 08:40 local time, 40 passengers were killed in a terrorist attack on a train that left Avtozavodskaya for Paveletskaya.

Paveletskaya - Line 2 - 08

Paveletskaya – Line 2 – 08

On 15 January 2007, both Paveletskaya stations were evacuated due to a fire in the tunnel connecting them. No injuries were reported.

Paveletskaya - Line 2 - 07

Paveletskaya – Line 2 – 07

Paveletskaya has two transfers to a station of the same name on the Koltsevaya line – either through tunnel, or through the common surface vestibule on the northern side of Garden Ring.

Paveletskaya - Line 2 - 06

Paveletskaya – Line 2 – 06

Southern exit directly connects to Paveletsky railway terminal which, in particular, provides express train service to Domodedovo International Airport.

Paveletskaya - Line 2 - 05

Paveletskaya – Line 2 – 05

Text from Wikipedia.






33.5 metres (110 ft)


20 November 1943

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery