Moscow Metro – Belorusskaya – Line 5

Belorusskaya - Line 5 - Interior - By Sudakovsky

Belorusskaya – Line 5 – Interior – By Sudakovsky

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Belorusskaya – Line 5

Belorusskaya - Line 5 - ceiling mosaic - 12

Belorusskaya – Line 5 – ceiling mosaic – 12

Belorusskaya (Белору́сская) is a station on the Moscow Metro’s Koltsevaya line. It is named after the nearby Belorussky Rail Terminal. It opened in 1952, serving briefly as the terminus of the line before the circle was completed in 1954. Designed by Ivan Taranov, Z. Abramova, A. Markova, and Ya. Tatarzhinskaya, the station has low, white marble pylons, an elaborately patterned plaster ceiling, light fixtures supported by ornate scroll-shaped brackets, and a variety of decorations based on Belarusian themes.

Belorusskaya - Line 5 - ceiling mosaic - 02

Belorusskaya – Line 5 – ceiling mosaic – 02

Overhead, twelve octagonal mosaics by G. Opryshko, S. Volkov, and I. Morozov depict Belarusian daily life, and underfoot the platform is intricately tiled to resemble a Belarusian quilt. A sculptural group by sculptor Matvey Manizer called ‘Soviet Belorussia’ used to stand at the end of the platform before it was removed in 1998 to make room for a second entrance. Another sculptural group, ‘Belarussian Partisans’ by S.M. Orlov, S. M. Rabinovich, and I. A. Slonim, is located in the passage between this station and Belorusskaya–Radialnaya.

Belorusskaya - Line 5 - ceiling mosaic - 07

Belorusskaya – Line 5 – ceiling mosaic – 07

The station’s original vestibule is located at the southwest corner of Belorusskaya Square. A newer entrance opens onto Butirsky Val Street.

Belorusskaya - Line 5 - ceiling mosaic - 04

Belorusskaya – Line 5 – ceiling mosaic – 04

In 2002, a bomb exploded under one of Belorusskaya’s marble benches, injuring seven people.

Belorusskaya - Line 5 - ceiling mosaic - 03

Belorusskaya – Line 5 – ceiling mosaic – 03

From this station passengers can transfer to Belorusskaya on the Zamoskvoretskaya line, whose metro entrance in closest to Aero Express, direct train to Sheremetevo Airport.

Belorusskaya - Line 5 - ceiling mosaic - 11

Belorusskaya – Line 5 – ceiling mosaic – 11

Text from Wikipedia.

Location:

GPS:

55.7764°N

37.5844°E

Depth:

42.5 metres (139ft)

Opened:

30 January 1952

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Belorusskaya – Line 2

Moscow Metro - Belorusskaya - Line 2 - by A. Savin

Moscow Metro – Belorusskaya – Line 2 – by A. Savin

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Belorusskaya – Line 2

Belorusskaya - Line 2 - 03

Belorusskaya – Line 2 – 03

Belorusskaya (Белору́сская) is a Moscow Metro station on the Zamoskvoretskaya line. Designed by architects Ivan Taranov and Nadezhda Bykova, it was opened in 1938 as part of the second stage of the Moscow Metro.

Belorusskaya - Line 2 - 10

Belorusskaya – Line 2 – 10

The station is named after the nearby Belorussky Rail Terminal, from which westward trains towards Belarus and western Europe depart.

Belorusskaya - Line 2 - 08

Belorusskaya – Line 2 – 08

The station is decorated with national Belarusian motives, which include the facing of rectangular pylons faced with pink marble from Birobidzhan on the exterior and with black davalu marble in the passageway to the platforms. Bronze floor-lamps decorate the pylon niches, in the end of the central hall is a bust of Vladimir Lenin.

Belorusskaya - Line 2 - 04

Belorusskaya – Line 2 – 04

The station underwent several modernisations which slightly altered its original design. The floor, initially being based on Belarusian national ornaments, was replaced with square tiles of black and grey marble. The walls also initially covered with indigo ceramic tiles were replaced by indigo marble in 2004.

Belorusskaya - Line 2 - 07

Belorusskaya – Line 2 – 07

In 1952, a series of staircases was added to the southern side of the central hall, and a transfer to Belorusskaya station on the Koltsevaya line was opened. In 1958 the first cruise control system in the Moscow Metro was tested on Belorusskaya, with a photoelement installed on a train.

Belorusskaya - Line 2 - 06

Belorusskaya – Line 2 – 06

Text from Wikipedia.

Belorusskaya - Line 2 - 09

Belorusskaya – Line 2 – 09

Location:

GPS:

55.7767°N

37.5835°E

Opened:

11 September 1938

Depth:

33.1 metres (109 ft)

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Belarusian Partisans – Statue – Belorusskaya Metro Stations, Moscow

Belorusskaya - Belarussian Partisans - 01

Belorusskaya – Belarussian Partisans – 01

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Belarusian Partisans – Statue – Belorusskaya Metro Stations, Moscow

Belorusskaya - Belarussian Partisans - 03

Belorusskaya – Belarussian Partisans – 03

Sculptor:

Matvei Manizer

Date:

1952

Location:

In the passage between Belorusskaya stations Line 1 and Line 5.

Belorusskaya - Belarussian Partisans - 02

Belorusskaya – Belarussian Partisans – 02

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery