Moscow Metro – Chistye Prudy – Line 1

Cristye Purdi - 01

Cristye Purdi – 01

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Chistye Prudy – Line 1

Chistye Prudy (Russian: Чистые пруды, English: Clean Ponds) is a Moscow Metro station in the Basmanny District, Central Administrative Okrug, Moscow. It is on the Sokolnicheskaya Line, between Lubyanka and Krasnye Vorota stations. Chistye Prudy was opened on 15 May 1935 as a part of the first segment of the Metro. The station lies beneath Myasnitskaya Street, close to Turgenevskaya Square and the Clean Ponds, after which the station was named. It was the deepest station in Moscow Metro from 1935 until 1938.

Though planned to be a three-vaulted station with a full-length central hall (similar to Krasnye Vorota and Okhotny Ryad), Chistye Prudy was built instead according to a London Underground type design with two passages at either end of the station connecting the platforms. The outer platform vaults were finished to give the impression that a central hall did in fact exist, with what appeared to be a row of dark marble pylons. However, all of the archways except those at either end of the platform were barricaded. The architect of the initial station was Nikolai Kolli who worked with Le Corbusier on the nearby Tsentrosoyuz building.

Cristye Purdi - 02

Cristye Purdi – 02

During World War II the station was closed and its platforms were fenced off with plywood for use as the headquarters of the Joint Staff and PVO Air Defence. All trains bypassed this station.

Chistye Prudy’s central hall was built in 1971 so that the station could become a transfer point to the Kaluzhsko-Rizhskaya Line. The architects for this project were N. Shukhareva, L. Popov, and A. Fokina. The new portion of the station was finished to resemble the original sections as closely as possible, maintaining its original character. Escalators were built in the centre of the platform to connect to Turgenevskaya.

Cristye Purdi - 03

Cristye Purdi – 03

Chistye Prudy is finished with dark grey Ufalei and white Koelga marble, with a dark granite platform. In 1989 the station’s outer walls were refinished with marble rather than ceramic tile to approximate the original design even more closely.

The station was named Kirovskaya from its opening until 1990, and there is still a bronze bust of Sergey Kirov at the end of the platform. In 1992 it was briefly called Myasnitskaya, but renamed a few days later into its current name.

Cristye Purdi - 04

Cristye Purdi – 04

The station retains its original entrance, a glazed art deco pavilion, situated at start of the Chistoprudny boulevard with entrances from both sides: to the ponds on the boulevard and towards the Myasnitskiye Vorota square.

The pavilion links up to the subterranean vestibule and ticket hall. During the reconstruction in 1971, a subway was built directly linking the underground space with the new network of entrances for the Turgenevskaya station, which makes it possible to walk from one station vestibule to the other without descending into the platform halls.

Cristye Purdi - 05

Cristye Purdi – 05

The station’s transfer to Turgenevskaya of the Kaluzhsko-Rizhskaya Line is done via a tunnel that begins underneath Chisye Prudy’s platform. Transfer to the Sretensky Bulvar station of the Lyublinsko-Dmitrovskaya Line, opened on 13 January 2008.

The name ‘Chistye Prudy’ also refers to the neighbourhood surrounding the Metro station. This area is sometimes called Chistye Prudy or Pokrovka (referring to the street by the same name). In the 16th century, Pokrovskye Vorota (Pokrov Gates) stood at the current intersection of Pokrovka Street and Chistoprudny Boulevard.

Cristye Purdi - 06

Cristye Purdi – 06

The Chistye Prudy neighbourhood is famous for the beautiful Chistoprudny Boulevard and the pond after which the area is called—Chisty Prud (Clean Pond). In medieval times, several ponds stood on the location of the current single pond. They were used as refuse dumps and were fittingly called Griyaznye Prudy (Dirty Ponds). Under Peter the Great’s reign, his friend and advisor Menshikov dredged the ponds, unified them into one pond and renamed them Chistye Prudy (Clean Ponds).

There is the only tram line in Moscow Center near there. Namely, route 39 tram starts from Chistye Prudy station’s area and allows to ride near several landmarks of Moscow’s city centre in one go.

Text from Wikipedia.

One of the rare stations where the old historical caption “M E T R O” has remained.


Basmanny District, Central Administrative Okrug





35 metres (115ft)


15 May 1935

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Teatralnaya – Line 2

Teatralnaya - Line 2 - A Savin

Teatralnaya – Line 2 – A Savin

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Teatralnaya – Line 2

Teatralnaya - Line 2 - 01

Teatralnaya – Line 2 – 01

Teatralnaya (Russian: Театра́льная, English: Theater) is an underground metro station on the Zamoskvoretskaya line of the Moscow Metro, named for the nearby Teatralnaya Square, the location of numerous theatres, including the famed Bolshoi Theatre. The station is unique in that it does not have its own entrance halls. The north escalator leads to Okhotniy Ryad and the south escalator to Ploshchad Revolyutsii.

Teatralnaya - Line 2 - 04

Teatralnaya – Line 2 – 04


Ploshchad Sverdlova station opened on September 11, 1938, as part of the second stage of construction of the Moscow Metro system. It was the terminal station of the Zamoskvoretskaya line until the line was extended on January 1, 1943. Teatralnaya’s architect was Ivan Fomin. The station is located at a depth of 33.9 meters (111 feet). The central hall has a diameter of 9.5 meters (31 feet), with an 8.5 meters (28 feet) lateral lining of cast-iron tubing.

From its opening until 1990, the station’s name was Ploshchad Sverdlova, which was named in honour of the prominent Bolshevik, Yakov Sverdlov. In 1990, the city changed the name of the square to Teatralnaya Ploshchad. The name of the station followed accordingly.

Teatralnaya - Line 2 - 03

Teatralnaya – Line 2 – 03


Teatralnaya Station has fluted pylons faced with labradorite and white marble taken from the demolished Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. Crystal lamps in bronze frames attached to the centre of the room give the central hall a festive appearance. The vault of the central hall is decorated with caissons and majolica bas-reliefs by Natyla Danko on the theme of theatre arts of the USSR, manufactured by Leningrad Porcelain Factory. These bas-reliefs are a series of fourteen different figures, each representing music and dance from various nationalities of the Soviet Union. Seven male and seven female figures attired in their national costumes are either performing an ethnic dance or are playing a distinctively ethnic musical instrument. The series included Armenia, Byelorussia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. Each figure is reproduced four times for a total of 56 figures. Initially, the floor was of black-and-yellow granite patterned as a chessboard; however in 1970, the yellow panels were replaced with gray.

Teatralnaya - Line 2 - 02


A bust of Yakov Sverdlov, for whom the station was originally named, was located at the end of the platform opposite the escalators. Only the base remains today. A bust of Vladimir Lenin was however, preserved.

Text above from Wikipedia.


Date of opening;

11th September 1938, known as Ploshchad Sverdlova till the 5th November 1990

Construction of the station;

deep, pier, three-span

Architect of the underground part;

I. Fomin

Transition to stations Okhotny Ryad and Ploshchad Revolyutsii

The cubic pylons of Teatralnaya are faced with slightly yellowish grainy marble. The pylon edges are decorated with round broken-rib columns. Lamp-brackets with two white spherical shades are between the columns. Benches are placed at the bases of the pylons.

The vault of the very short central hall is decorated with rhomb-like coffers, while the vaults of the track tunnels are with square coffers. There are round porcelain medallions alone the base of the main vault – ‘Folk Music and Dance’ manufactured at the Leningrad Porcelain Factory by painter

Danko’s cartoons. The transit to station Okhotny Ryad begins with a bridge in the central part of hall, which ends by a small hall from which a long running-up passageway starts (built in 1945-1946). The left and right walls of the small hall have medallions with Chaikovsky’s profiles. The pediments of the bridge are adorned with bas-reliefs of pair ballet jump and ballet support. The northern exit ends in the underground entrance hall common with station Okhotny Ryad. There is a portrait of K. Marx on the wall made of red and white marble as Florentine mosaic.

Text from Moscow Metro 1935-2005, p68/9


Tverskoy District, Central Administrative Okrug





33.9 metres (111ft)


11 September 1938

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Taganskaya – Line 7

Taganskaya - Line 7 - A Savin

Taganskaya – Line 7 – A Savin

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery

Moscow Metro – Taganskaya – Line 7

Taganskaya - Line 7 - 03

Taganskaya – Line 7 – 03

Taganskaya (Russian: Таганская) is a Moscow Metro station in the Tagansky District, Central Administrative Okrug, Moscow. It is on the Tagansko–Krasnopresnenskaya line, between Kitay-gorod and Proletarskaya stations.

Taganskaya - Line 7 - 01

Taganskaya – Line 7 – 01

Taganskaya opened in 1966 as part of the start of the Zhdanovsky (now Tagansky) radius. The station’s decoration is sparse yet stylish for the 1960s functional designs. Because the deep pylon trivault offers more potential for decorations, architects Nina Alyoshina and Yury Vdovin exploited this. Decorating the white marbled pylons with brown marble stripes. Likewise the white and black ceramic tiles and are decorated with metallic artworks with a space theme. The floor is covered with red and grey granite. The underground vestibule of the station is interlinked with the subway under the Bolshaya Kammenka street. The surface staircases of which are protected from the weather with glazed concrete pavilions (the first in Moscow). When the station was opened it was the terminus of the Zhdanovskaya line until 1970. Behind the station is a junction link allowing the train to reverse, also it leads onto a service link branch to the Koltsevaya line.

Taganskaya - Line 7 - 02

Taganskaya – Line 7 – 02

From the start the station was designed as a transfer point with the western escalators leading on to the Taganskaya station of the Koltsevaya line. In 1979, with the construction of the Marksistskaya station of the Kalininskaya line, three staircases were built into the northern wall.

Text from Wikipedia.


Tagansky District, Central Administrative Okrug





36 metres (118ft)


31 December 1966

More on the USSR

Moscow Metro – a Socialist Realist Art Gallery